If you are studying in Australia on a student visa, it is your responsibility to ensure that you satisfy the conditions on your visa.

If you do not satisfy your visa requirements, there may be serious implications for your visa. The most important conditions are outlined below. For a full list, please visit the Department of Home Affair’s website.

Complete your course on time

As an international student, you are required to maintain a study load that will allow you to complete your course within the duration specified on your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE), which generally requires a full-time study load (12 credit points) each semester. Student visa holders are typically not allowed to study part-time.

If you wish to reduce your study load you can do so under certain conditions. If you are intending to amend your course plan by changing unit selections, withdrawing from units, decreasing the number of units being studied, or changing a unit’s mode of study from internal to external, you must contact your Academic Chair.

Find out more about managing your enrolment

Make satisfactory academic progress

All students are required to make satisfactory academic progress as part of Murdoch University’s Coursework Regulations.

If you are not making satisfactory academic progress, there are significant implications for your student visa.

Learn more about satisfactory academic progress

Transferring to another education provider

If you are an international student on a student visa and want to change to another education provider, you must let Murdoch know. There are different steps to follow depending on how far you have progressed through your course.

Find out more about changing your education provider

Maintain Overseas Student Health Cover

The Australian Government requires that as a student visa holder, you and your dependants must maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the length of your visa. Find out more information about OSHC and Murdoch’s preferred provider.

Change of address

All international students are required to keep Murdoch University informed of their current Australian residential address. You must notify the University of your Australian address within seven days of arriving in Australia. You must also notify the University of any subsequent change of address within seven days. Any changes should be updated via MyInfo, and failure to do this is a breach of your student visa conditions.

Only a student’s home address should be recorded as the residential address. Post office boxes are not eligible. You are also required to provide and maintain your emergency contact details in MyInfo.

Pay tuition fees on time

You must pay your tuition fees on time to avoid the University cancelling your enrolment. For more information about international undergraduate and postgraduate fees, including what to do if you are having difficulty paying fees, please see fee information for international students.

Your rights and protections

There may be times when you are not happy with the situation you find yourself in. There are policies, procedures and guidelines in place to make sure that no matter your circumstances, you will find there is always someone you can refer to for guidance. Find out more about the University’s complaints and appeals processes.

The Australian Government’s Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Framework is in place to protect international students. The framework includes the ESOS Act 2000 and the ESOS National Code. You can read about the ESOS framework and how it supports International students in the ESOS Information sheet.

Confirmation of enrolment (CoE)

A Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) is an electronic document issued to international students which details your course, duration, and institution where you are studying.

You need a CoE to apply for a student visa so the course information on your CoE must be accurate at the time of issue. You should organise any advanced standing prior to obtaining your CoE as it may affect the length of your visa.

You cannot use your Statement of Enrolment from MyMurdoch. A Statement of Enrolment is available to all students and includes basic details of your course.

If your course details change or you need to apply for a new visa you can request a Confirmation of Enrolment.


For personalised support and advice, contact myMurdoch Advice.

Access myMurdoch technical support