You can apply for retrospective withdrawal from a unit if you have not completed the requirements due to exceptional circumstances.

Exceptional circumstances may arise from medical, family, personal, employment or course-related reasons that:

  • are beyond your control
  • do not make their full impact until on or after the census date
  • make it impracticable for you to complete the requirements for the unit during the period in which you undertook, or were to undertake, the unit.

You can apply for retrospective withdrawal if you have not completed the requirements for the unit:

Preparing your application

You must apply in writing within 12 months of the withdrawal date or the end of the study period for the failed unit.

To apply for retrospective withdrawal, you need to submit:

  • a completed retrospective withdrawal application form
  • a personal statement outlining the reasons for your application
  • independent supporting documentation.

Supporting documentation

Depending on your circumstances, supporting documentation can include statements from doctors, counsellors, or employers and should show:

  • the circumstances were beyond your control
  • the circumstances did not make their full impact until on or after the census date for the unit
  • it became apparent after the census date you could not continue studying
  • how your circumstances prevented you from withdrawing before the census date.

Medical certificates or letters need to include the medical provider number. Evidence of death can include death notice, newspaper extracts, or letters from counsellors, funeral directors or doctors.

If the documentation is insufficient for a decision to be made, you will be asked for additional information. You must then respond in the time specified or your application will be denied.

What happens next?

It may take up to eight weeks to review and assess your application. You will be advised of the outcome of your application through MyAnswers.

If your application is successful, your unit outcomes will be amended and you may be refunded or re-credited your HELP or tuition fee liabilities.

Get advice

You can get specific advice regarding your enrolment during Orientation Week.

If you can’t attend your orientation session, you can seek help from myMurdoch Advice student success advisors, or by contacting your academic chair.

Transnational students

If you’re studying at our Singapore or Dubai campuses, your enrolment is managed by your local partner institution.

Contact the program management team at your local partner institution for details.